By Lena Katz
Avocados are a fruit and they are full of that good fat!
Oh wait, everyone already knew this? But of course we did. With Wholly Guacamole® dips in the brand family, most people probably know the key awesome qualities of avocados: they are rich with protein, omega-3 fatty acids and healthy fiber. They are deemed a superfood by many experts and publications. They make the best taco topping on the planet. And, hipsters can’t stop eating them on toast.
But that’s all avocado 101. Here, we’ll get into some lesser-known details about everyone’s favorite creamy savory super-fruit, and take a look at what’s inside our favorite Wholly Guacamole® dips!
- According to scientists, avocados may have been consumed as long ago as 8,000 B.C.
- Avocados grow in pairs on their tree, and cannot self-pollinate – they have to work it out together. Happy Valentine’s! (On a possibly related note, avocados were a love symbol according to ancient Aztecs.)
- Not only are avocados high in fiber and protein, they are also rich in potassium.
- And, in spite of being rich in good fat and protein, they are actually naturally cholesterol-free. Miracle fruit indeed!
- According to dictionary.com, the old-school name for avocado was “alligator pear” – probably because of its bumpy skin, or maybe just because of a mispronunciation in Colonial translation.
- Avocado facials are easier than a salad. Victoria Beckham credits avocados as her go-to DIY facial ingredient. Just mash it together with a few tablespoons of honey and coconut oil, and apply to your face.
- You know those rock-hard avocados in the grocery store? If you put a dark, dense avocado in a paper bag with a banana, it will ripen right away. Not so with the ones that are light weight or lighter in color, which are not actually matured enough to ripen easily.
WHOLLY GUACAMOLE® classic guacamole
Hass Avocado, White Vinegar, Jalapeño Peppers, Salt, Dehydrated Onion, Salt, Granulated Garlic
WHOLLY GUACAMOLE® spicy guacamole
Hass Avocado, White Vinegar, Jalapeño Peppers, Salt, Dehydrated Onion, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Jalapeño Powder, Salt, Granulated Garlic